Wednesday, January 17, 2018

They say to feel happy, make someone else happy

The old saying, It’s better to give than to receive, apparently is true on many counts. For most people that makes it a win-win. Unless of course, you’re a sociopath, narcissist or any one of the Frank Underwood Administration. There are always exceptions.
I suggest that we try this for one week, 7 little days out of our lives. One gesture of giving, of kindness a day and let’s see how we feel at week’s end. In fact, if you are feeling down or upset, one of the greatest things you can do is to share a bit of kindness. Here are some really simple suggestions, things that you can do right now.



Photo by Tom Parsons on Unsplash

1. Give someone a compliment. We can always find something good — whether, I love your shoes, your smile, the skip in your step.
I told the girl behind the counter at the post office the other day that I loved her new haircut. I don’t know her but I see her there when I drop off packages and I noticed she had cut quite a bit of hair off. I was actually taken aback by her response.
Do you really? She was so excited. Oh my gosh, you just made my day. I couldn’t decide if I liked it or not. Oh, I’m so happy you think it looks good!
She was gushing and I left there feeling pretty good about my own self, too. Even though that was not at all my intention. I really did like her hair!
2. Take someone a small gift (flowers from your backyard/a bowl of oranges or fresh herbs from your garden)
3. Make someone’s day (buy the guy in line a cup of coffee, or better yet, the guy standing outside the coffee shop)
4. Call a friend. Or your Mom. Or someone who would love to hear from you.
5. Say hello and smile as you pass people.
6. Visit someone who lives alone.
7. Let someone go in front of you in line.
8. Listen without distractions. That’s right, put the phone away. Be present.
9. Leave your server the biggest tip you can afford.
10. If you see someone struggling, with a stroller, with grocery bags, up the steps or with whatever, do the old boy scout deed of helping. Lift groceries into their car, or up the steps, or tell them if tag is showing or their shirt is inside out. (Trust me, people appreciate this, it happened to me! https://medium.com/@kimklein_80466/your-tag-is-showing-f72c3c0ef25)
And remember, surround yourself with positive people, listen to your head, listen to your body, know when to say yes, and when to say no. You deserve kindness too!

No comments:

Post a Comment